Welcome to the website of the Fiji Red Cross Society
The Fiji Red Cross was established in 1954 as an overseas branch of the British Red Cross. It was recognised as an independent National Society in 1971 after Fiji gained independence and registered under the Charitable Trust Act. The Society is officially recognised by the Government of Fiji as a voluntary relief organisation, auxiliary to the public authorities and as the only national Red Cross Society in the country.
The Society’s existence is underpinned by its volunteers. All National Board, branch and honorary members are volunteers, and under the Fiji Red Cross Society 2008 Constitution, form part of the National Council, being the ultimate governance body, of which the Patron is the head.
The Society comprises of 15 branches, with the National office located in Suva and 2 service centres in Lautoka and Labasa. The branches as of 2010 are Ba, Bua, Labasa, Lautoka, Levuka, Nadi, Nalawa, Rakiraki, Rotuma, Savusavu, Seaqaqa, Sigatoka, Suva, Taveuni and Tavua. They have a collective core active volunteer base of 500 and a territorial coverage of approximately 80% of the Fiji Islands. During times of emergency, FRCS can mobilise up to ten times its current volunteer base. It is the largest, most widely respected and recognised humanitarian organisation in the country.
Guided by the Red Cross Principles, assistance is rendered through our core programmes: Health & Care, Disaster Preparedness and Response, Safety, Youth, Principles and Humanitarian Values and Resource Development.